Traffic delays are highly likely on Daingerfield Road in Alexandria (between the King Street Metro and Duke Street) as the Alexandria Sanitation Authority (ASA) furthers the modernization of approximately 3,000 feet of the Commonwealth Avenue Sewer System. Improvements include rehabilitating existing sewer lines and manholes; replacing existing sewer manhole covers and frames; installing a new sewer liner; and repaving and re-striping portions of the roadway surface affected by the construction activities. The project is scheduled to run from May 11 – June 19, 2009.
Motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians are encouraged to use alternate routes as Daingerfield Road will be reduced to one lane while work is being performed. Mass transit providers, including the DASH bus line, Metrobus, Metrorail, Amtrak, Alexandria trolley and the City school buses, will maintain normal operations. Most work will be done within the roadway and on public property.
Phase 3 of the Commonwealth Avenue Sewer System Improvements Project includes work on Daingerfield Road from King Street to Duke Street and will include the following lane closures and movement restrictions:
- Daingerfield Road – Southbound through traffic will be reduced to one lane from King Street to Dechantal Street.
- Prince Street will be closed from Reinekers Lane to Daingerfield Road and Reinekers Road will be limited to one lane reversible controlled by flaggers. This closure will be limited to one weekend.
- There will be temporary lane closures on Duke Street just east of Daingerfield Road. During these temporary closures, eastbound and westbound traffic will be reduced to single lanes.
- There will be temporary no parking zones on the east side of Daingerfield Road and along Diagonal Road near the Reinekers Lane intersection. Sidewalks will remain open.
- Sidewalk ramps will be installed over the by-pass piping on Duke Street.
A map of the work area can be found by clicking this link.