Carlyle Dog Park Update

by Lee Hernly, Editor

As many of you are aware, the dog park is temporarily closed. We were informed today by the developer, the park was prematurely opened, without approval by the City of Alexandria. Thus, after a recent inspection, the developer decided to close the park. The developer is currently working through a punch list of items and will hopefully reopen the park in the coming weeks. At that time, the park will be dedicated to the City for public use. Hopefully, once the Dog Park is finally approved, the tennis courts will get a makeover as well. We’ll keep you all informed.

As for the John Carlyle Square Park, the developer continues to plod ahead with the remaining punch list items. One of the biggest ones being the hanging the roof over the stage. As soon as we get more information about when John Carlyle Square Park reopens, we’ll let you all know first.

As for those who haven’t yet been to the Dog Park with your pet, here are the rules of the park (see photo below).

Dog Park Rules

Dog Park Rules

Related Articles

10 comments

Larry June 23, 2009 - 10:01 pm

Pretty cool post. I just came by your site and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your posts. Anyway
I’ll be subscribing to your blog and I hope you write again soon!

Willow June 25, 2009 - 3:29 pm

Where exactly is the dog park?

Carlyle Community News June 26, 2009 - 7:44 am

Hi Willow,

The park is located up behind the Marriott Residence Inn on Mill Road, and behind Carlyle Towers by the Metro tracks.

Jorge July 2, 2009 - 4:29 pm

Saw today, July 2nd, a crew working on the irrigation system

Dog Owner July 19, 2009 - 9:49 pm

Hi,
So I guess the city’s claim that it was so the grass could grow in wasn’t exactly correct….? When I emailed the city, they didn’t give me an estimated date for when it would open. Does anyone have an idea when it might open? Thanks!

Karen August 8, 2009 - 8:14 pm

Well, who knew it would take this long to fix whatever had to be fixed?! I have called the Alexandria parks office a few times (Beth, 703.838.4343) but have not received a call back. Does anyone know what the plan is?

Karen August 10, 2009 - 10:51 am

Hello:

I tried to get an update from the city parks office but have not heard back. Has anyone tried calling them and received any updates? I called Beth at 703-838-4343.

Karen August 24, 2009 - 10:27 am

Finally! I had a response from the city. I was told that they were shooting for the end of August, “fingers crossed” (quote). Yae!

Cindy Kadish October 12, 2009 - 10:11 pm

This closing is interminable. When is this dog park going to reopen? Here it’s mid-Oct. and still no dog park.

Carlyle Community News October 13, 2009 - 10:23 am

Hi Cindy,

Last I heard on Monday the 5th of October from both the contractor and the City was there were a few final things on the list to be completed as well as a payment from the Carlyle Development Corporation to the City for the maintenance/makeover of the tennis courts next door to the dog park. As you may know, these courts have sat untouched since they were built some 12 years ago now. The City will NOT accept the Dog Park until payment is made.

Comments are closed.