Telegraph Road Closures This Weekend
In Advance Of ‘New’ Kings Highway Ramp
There will be MAJOR Telegraph Road area closures and traffic shifts the weekend of May 13-16 to prepare for the new ramp opening from Telegraph Road South to N. Kings Highway and for roadway construction. The opening of this ramp will permanently eliminate the left turn from Telegraph South onto N. Kings Highway, thereby lengthening green light time for Telegraph Road travelers. Importantly, southbound Telegraph Road drivers will need to learn that the turn to N. Kings Highway is the first right after crossing the Cameron Run Bridge, while the turn to Huntington Avenue will be the second right. These movements are opposite the order in which the roads appear.
The new ramp will be open by 5 a.m. on Monday, May 16. This weekend work will have significant impacts on local traffic and motorists are strongly advised to seek alternate routes to avoid delays. Variable message signs will be posted throughout the area with detour routes.
The scheduled impacts are as follows.
Friday, May 13 from 8 p.m. to Monday, May 16 at 5 a.m.:
The current southbound Telegraph Road lanes will be closed from the Beltway interchange to N. Kings Highway, and traffic will be shifted left onto one of the northbound lanes. One lane will remain open each to southbound and northbound Telegraph Road traffic all weekend.
This work has the following impacts:
- Traffic will not be able to exit from Duke Street onto Telegraph Road South during this time.
Detour for westbound motorists: Continue on Duke Street to Van Dorn South to left on Franconia Road to Telegraph Road.
Detour for eastbound motorists: Continue on Duke Street to U.S. Route 1 South to right on N. Kings Highway to Telegraph Road.
- The right-hand ramp from Telegraph Road South to Huntington Avenue will be closed during this time. Instead, motorists will use a temporary left-hand turn onto Huntington Avenue, which will be facilitated by police presence.
- Motorists will have full access to turn from Telegraph Road South onto N. Kings Highway and East Drive, though East Drive will be reduced to one lane in each direction. There will be police facilitating these turns.
- The Capital Beltway Outer Loop (I-95/495 North) exit to Telegraph Road South will be closed.
Detour: Motorists should take the Van Dorn South exit to left on Franconia Road to Telegraph Road. Alternately, motorists can use the exit ramp from the Outer Loop to N. Kings Highway toward U.S. Route 1 to S. Kings Highway to Telegraph Road.
- The on-ramp from southbound Telegraph Road to the Capital Beltway Outer Loop (I-95/495 North) will be closed.
Detour: Motorists should use the temporary left turn onto Huntington Avenue to U.S. Route 1 North to the on-ramp to the Outer Loop.
- Access to the single southbound Telegraph Road lane will remain open to motorists traveling from Mill Road and from the Capital Beltway Inner Loop (I-95/495 South).
- The ramp from southbound Telegraph Road to the Capital Beltway Inner Loop (I-95/495 South) will remain open for travelers coming from Mill Road.
- Vehicles traveling northbound on Telegraph Road will have all regular access to the Beltway and to local roads.
The work outlined above is highly dependent on weather, and may be delayed due to rain. Please use caution when traveling in this area. All construction-related work and dates are subject to change, depending on weather, material and contractor availability or other unforeseen conditions.