I attended last night’s Potomac Yard Metrorail Implementation Group (PYMIG) meeting at City Hall to see the physical and digital models up close for myself. Here are some thoughts from the meeting.
- EIS study – currently ongoing, City staff should have a draft report ready for this Fall.
- Once report is released, City Council should be choosing a Locally Preferred Alternative (LPA) from a set of options (A, B, B-CSX, and D).
- From viewing option D during the review of the digital model last night, doesn’t look like it is an option due to size and cost.
- B-CSX option is also not preferred by the group due to extra cost ($83M) and that there would be a two-year delay on this option when compared to the other three. This option was looked at at the behest of National Park Service (NPS). The other three could be started in 2017 and this one would have to wait until 2019.
- B option – B option is most preferred by this group because it is closer to the development but, runs into a plethora of problems chief of which is portions of the station would be on National Park Service land which the Park Service will not allow.
- A option is cheapest option but also has problems.
- It is away from development area
- This would cause reorganization of development area – which developer wants to do anyway.
- Potomac Greens residents were in attendance and spoke to the group. It doesn’t sound like Potomac Greens residents would be happy at all with A (which if memory serves – is why City looked at other options to begin with).
- Potomac Greens residents who spoke had some serious concerns over construction access, noise, etc. Here’s hoping City staff addresses them in the EIS study.
Hearing this, the question remains – will Potomac Yard Metrorail Station get built?
Here are some photos of the physical and digital model on display at City Hall that I took last night. NOTE: The physical model will have different options in them at different times over the next two weeks. Haven’t seen a schedule yet online – if that changes – watch our Twitter feed. NOTE (2): Physical model is supposed to be labeled sometime in the next few days so you can see what is going where in Potomac Yard.
Option A of Potomac Yard Metro in Alexandria Virginia as seen from the air
An aerial view if you were landing at National Airport from the South heading North.
Physical model of proposed Potomac Yard Metrorail Station as seen in aerial from Old Town Alexandria, Virginia
Easels describing the different options for the Potomac Yard Metrorail station on display.
Digital model of the different options for the Potomac Yard Metrorail station on display (this is also playing at this link).
Public and Implementation group get a close up look at the new physical model of the proposed option A for the Potomac Yard Metrorail Station at City Hall.