On July 25, 1808, John Gadsby announced that he was selling the lease to The City Tavern and was moving to Baltimore. According to his newspaper ad, “With the lease will be sold, if wanted, the whole of the FURNITURE together with a large stock of WINES & LIQUORS.”
Come one, come all to wish him well on his new hospitality adventure on July 25, from 5:30-8:30 p.m. With a $10 donation, attendees will receive two drink tickets, and enjoy and evening of socializing and 18th-century fun with Mr. Gadsby himself. Tavern fare will be available for purchase.
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, Gadsby’s Tavern was the center of social and political life in Alexandria and the new Federal City of Washington. The tavern served as the premier gathering place for residents – including George Washington – and visitors to eat, drink, learn, and influence history. Gadsby’s Tavern Museum is located in the heart of Old Town Alexandria.
For more information, please visit www.gadsbystavern.org or call 703.746.4242.