Local commuters encouraged to try public transit during the month of September
DASH joins other transit systems and local jurisdictions across the commonwealth to promote Try Transit Week, September 15 -19, in coordination with the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT) and the American Public Transportation Association (APTA). This is a great time to discover new alternatives to your commute and how to get around while saving time, money, and energy!
DASH is offering three chances for you to join us in Try Transit Week activities:
- Create a one minute video or submit your answer in writing, and answer the question: “Why Do You Take Transit?” Email your answer to DASHContest@alexandriva.gov. The winner will receive a DASH Goody Bag that includes a DASH Pass valid for one calendar month. Entries are due by September 30, 2014.
- Like DASH on Facebook, Follow DASH on Twitter, and subscribe to DASH eNews and be entered to win a DASH Pass.
- Join DASH at various Alexandria locations, and in Arlington at the Shirlington Transit Center, for transit give-a-ways. Enter for a chance to win a DASH Pass when you pledge to Try Transit and practice pedestrian safety!
- Sat., Sept. 13 – Del Ray Farmer’s Market: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Mon., Sept. 15 – King Street Metro Station: 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
- Tues., Sept. 16 – King Street Metro Station: 7:00 – 9:00 a.m.
- Tues., Sept. 16 – Shirlington Transit Center: 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
- Wed., Sept. 17- Potomac Yard (Staples): 2:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Thurs., Sept. 18 – Shirlington Transit Center: 7:00 – 9:00 a.m.
- Thurs., Sept. 18 – King Street Metro Station: 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
- Fri., Sept. 19 – Alexandria Transit Store: 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
More information on these activities is available at www.dashbus.com.
What is Try Transit Week?
Try Transit Week, which takes place September 15 -19, 2014, is a week-long, educational event designed to encourage Virginians to reduce their use of single-occupancy vehicles and try a form of transit such as bus, rail, or trolley. Pledge to try transit Try Transit Week and you will be automatically entered to win a one year of transit service and a pair of round-trip tickets on Amtrak’s Northeast Regional. Visit trytransitweek.org to learn more about the event and to enter your pledge.