Absentee voting for the November 4, federal election begins on Friday, September 19. Many Alexandria voters are eligible to vote absentee, for example, if they are:
- Away for personal business, work, vacation, active military service or at school.
- Working and commuting for 11 or more hours between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Election Day. Take into account those days when traffic is heavy or the weather is bad and it takes longer than usual to get to and from work.
- Physically unable to go to the polls because of an illness or disability.
- A caregiver for a confined family member.
- A “first responder” (firefighter, law enforcement, emergency medical technician, search and rescue).
To learn more about these, and other circumstances in which absentee voting is an appropriate option, go to alexandriava.gov/Elections and click on “Absentee Voting,” or call 703.746.4050.