We are continuing our inaugural retrospective on the most-read posts at Red Brick Town in 2014 (see 41-50 here, 31-40 here, and 21-30 here) as we look back over these few days at the top 50 posts of 2014. We have HUGE plans for 2015 but first, here’s a chance to revisit what you, our beloved readers, were MOST interested in reading about in 2014.
This batch from 11-20 has a recap of our coverage of restaurant closings and openings, flooding, news about President Obama as well as breaking news.
Here we go with 11-20…
20. Notting Hill Restaurant and Bar Closes on King Street in Old Town – I heard from La Fromagerie that this place, located in the 1100 block of King Street in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, was ‘boarded up and checked it out myself. We were the first to tell you about the closure and we were the first to tell you about the steakhouse that is replacing it (thanks to a tip from a reader).
19. City Kitchen Coming Soon to South Pickett Street Trade Center – Readers were VERY interested in the news about the West End’s newest joint in the Landmark/Van Dorn area.
18. This Employee Really Loves the USPTO – Various photos we have taken around Alexandria have been popular. None more so than this one that got a lot of attention at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. I wonder why?
17. District Taco Coming to Alexandria – We were the first to tell you about District Taco taking over the old Chicken Out space on South Washington Street in Alexandria. Have you gone yet? What are your thoughts on District Taco? This is the first of a couple of posts about District Taco in Alexandria.
16. Flooding in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia (Photos) – April 30, 2014 – In our quest to be YOUR local news source in Alexandria, sometimes we had to cover stories like this. You, our beloved readers, responded.
15. Breaking – Maury Elementary School on Lockdown – Given that we can’t be everywhere in Alexandria at once. When stories broke, we used the power of social media to compile the news for you, our beloved readers. You responded in instances like this.
14. President Obama Visits Fireflies in Del Ray For Lunch – President Obama LOVES the eateries in Del Ray. He’s been to the Dairy Godmother, Del Ray Pizzeria, and now FireFlies for one of their delicious burgers. Like #15, we can’t be everywhere at once, so we used the power of social media to report the news to you.
13. Harris Teeter Opens a New Store in Old Town Alexandria With a Catch – We were the first to tell you when the new Harris Teeter was opening in the Old Town North neighborhood of Alexandria, Virginia and we were the ONLY one’s to tell you about the confusion surrounding the opening between Harris Teeter and the City of Alexandria.
12. Safeway Store at Bradlee Construction – An Update – We started getting requests from readers in spring 2014 to see about updating our beloved readers on the status of the Lifestyle Safeway which opened in December 2014. We kept tabs on the renovated store starting with this post.
11. Rolling Thunder Road Closures for Memorial Day 2014 – This event is EXTREMELY popular in the D.C. area as evident about the number of people who wanted to know about the road closures associated with the event.
Tomorrow, we’ll get into the Top 10 which were responsible for 19% of the total views in 2014. Thanks for being a reader and making us Alexandria’s most-read blog!