Your plans for this weekend (June 5-7, 2015) in Alexandria, Virginia include these events:
Friday June 5, 2015
- Wee Ones Story time Hooray for Books, 1555 King Street, Alexandria, VA
- 2nd Annual Food Truck Rodeo This year will be bigger and better with 10 food trucks, a watermelon eating contest, games for the kids, music and a beer and wine tent for the bigger cowboys and girls. Plan on putting on your cowboy boots and joining the rodeo this summer. See this link for details.
- FREE ESL class @ Burke Branch Library Free English classes for beginners in speaking, reading, and writing English. Text materials will be provided in class. Children can accompany parents.
- Family ‘Paint Night’ @ Durant Arts Center Advance reservations are $5 per person or $15 per family. At the door reservations will be $10 per person, or $20 per family. Children must be accompanied by one adult. For reservations and to pay online visit- www.alexandriav
a.gov/webtrac. “Family Paint Night” is one of the “First Fridays” events. The Series is a project of the Office of the Arts, a division of the City of Alexandria Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities.
- Alexandria Aces Home opener Frank Mann Field at Four Mile Run Park 3700 vs the DC Grays
- Support Alexandria’s At-Risk Kids at the Fostering the Future Gala An Island Affair awaits you with hors d’oeuvres, cocktails, desserts, music and dancing courtesy of the Kate Moran Band. Adults only, please. Island casual attire. See this link for tickets and more details.
- See ‘Beatles to Broadway’ at the GW Masonic Memorial “Beatles to Broadway” John Williams Signature Ed.: Love is All You Need, A Tribute to the Beatles (Arr. B. Healey) Selections of Rodgers and Hammerstein Favorites: with The Alexandria Singers Weber wrote his “Concertino for Clarinet and Orchestra” in E flat major (1811) for Heinrich Bärmann, one of the most accomplished clarinetists of the day. His works are pioneering efforts in the history of the clarinet as well as cornerstones of its repertoire. We close out the concert and our season with “Beatles to Broadway”, featuring The Alexandria Singers with a tribute to America’s beloved musical theatre duo, Rodgers and Hammerstein – includes favorite tunes from Oklahoma!, The King and I, South Pacific and The Sound of Music.
- Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra @ The Birchmere See this link for tickets and more information.
Saturday, June 6, 2015
- Farmers Markets in Alexandria See calendar for times and locations around Alexandria
- Yoga @ the Old Town Farmers Market Bring your mat and water.
- Learn to Row Day in Alexandria Alexandria Community Rowing is hosting a National Learn to Row Day event for anyone aged 14 and above. Participants will have the opportunity to tour the boat house,learn the basics of the rowing stroke on an indoor rowing machine and head out on the water.
- Waterfront Commission hosting a Waterfront Walk Tide Lock Park, 1 Canal Center Plaza
- Wee Ones Story Time Hooray for Books, 1555 King Street, Alexandria, VA
- Crab Shack @ FireFlies Del Ray Saturday is ‘Crab Day’ on the NEW crab deck. See this link for details.
- Virginia Foodshed Festival @ Oronoco Bay Park This festival will showcase the best of the Mid-Atlantic region’s craft food and beverage. There will be ticketed tastings and education on local food. In addition to food there will be entertainment and games for children of all ages.
- 6th annual Youth Arts Festival This festival will showcase the talents of youth around the city and serve as a forum of expression for both visual and performing arts. The festival is free of charge and will include artists, music, entertainment, and food vendors.
- Drug Take Back Day in Del Ray Have unwanted and expired prescription medications? Dispose of them safely at the “Drug Take-Back” to prevent pill abuse and theft. Stop by the “Well Ray” health event in the 2200 block of Mount Vernon Avenue, where the Alexandria Sheriff’s Office, Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition of Alexandria and the Neighborhood Pharmacy, are collecting potentially dangerous expired, unused and unwanted prescription drugs and other medications for destruction. These drugs can be a source of supply for illegal use and an unacceptable risk to public health and safety.
- Well Ray Festival in Del Ray Come browse health and lifestyle inspired tents. Wellness practitioners will offer services including therapeutic massages, acupuncture, physical therapy consultations, chiropractic adjustments, nutritional counseling, blood pressure screenings, and more. See this link for details.
- 5th annual D-Day Commemoration Beginning with music and swing dancing with the Alexandria Citizens Band Swing Band at 2:30pm, a formal remembrance ceremony will begin at 3:30pm with the U.S. Army Color Guard and a 12-man Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps performance. Visitors will also be able to meet and learn from WWII re-enactors and participate in a children’s scavenger hunt. Children are encouraged to attend!
- Alexandria Aces Home Game Frank Mann Field at Four Mile Run Park 3700 Commonwealth Avenue Alexandria VA
Sunday, June 7, 2015
- Farmers Markets in Alexandria See the calendar for times and locations around the City,
- Taste of Del Ray Taste your favorites from Del Ray Restaurants. See this link for details.
- 4MR Stage Concert Series – Janna Audey Janna performs a mix of her own material and adaptations of songs by her favorite artists and songwriters. Whether you see Janna by her lonesome for an intimate, storytelling show, as the duo alongside husband and electric guitarist, Rob Santos you’ll understand what the Janna-buzz is all about. It’s about the music, providing a sense of community, connection, feeling, laughter, positive energy, and FUN.http://www.
- 11th annual ‘Paws for a Cause’ Charity Dog Wash Dogtopia has a permanent non-profit arm to the company, known as K-9 Support, Inc. www.k9support.o
rg, to support working dogs of all kinds. From military dogs to rescue dogs to Seeing Eye dogs, Dogtopia is committed to aiding these wonderful animals in any way we can. We hope you’ll join us at Dogtopia Alexandria for our 11th annual charity dog wash benefiting Paws with a Cause, supporting our Veterans who need assistant dogs. Doggy Baths -Shampoo, towel-dry, fragrant spritz and bandana. A $20 donation is suggested per wash.
- ‘Beatles to Broadway at the GW Masonic Memorial “Beatles to Broadway” John Williams Signature Ed.: Love is All You Need, A Tribute to the Beatles (Arr. B. Healey) Selections of Rodgers and Hammerstein Favorites: with The Alexandria Singers Weber wrote his “Concertino for Clarinet and Orchestra” in E flat major (1811) for Heinrich Bärmann, one of the most accomplished clarinetists of the day. His works are pioneering efforts in the history of the clarinet as well as cornerstones of its repertoire. We close out the concert and our season with “Beatles to Broadway”, featuring The Alexandria Singers with a tribute to America’s beloved musical theatre duo, Rodgers and Hammerstein – includes favorite tunes from Oklahoma!, The King and I, South Pacific and The Sound of Music.