With docent-led tours of the Friendship Firehouse Museum happening this weekend in Alexandria, here’s a look back at the building circa 1910. Friendship Firehouse Museum is located at 107 South Alfred Street in Old Town, Alexandria. The site is open from 1-4:00 PM on Saturdays and Sundays; closed on major holidays.
This photo (above) via the Library of Congress, shows that not much has changed with the area and the building in the last 100 years or so wouldn’t you say?
Today the Friendship Firehouse, built in 1855, is a museum open to the public. Buckets, hose, axes, Friendship’s mid-19th century suction engine – elaborately decorated with the company’s clasped-hands insignia – are on view. Visitors also see the company’s ornate hose reel carriage that was made in Alexandria, and learn how the organization played a larger role in the community. In addition to fighting fires, Friendship members participated in parades and performed ceremonial duties for civic events. In the firehouse Meeting Room ceremonial artifacts such as helmets, capes and other regalia, are exhibited alongside the room’s original furniture.