Delays due to continuing construction of Seminary Road HOV Ramp and Pedestrian Bridge
Detours will be in effect for Seminary Road – AVOID area if possible
TONIGHT (Friday, December 18) at 9:30 p.m., the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will close multiple lanes on I-395 North at Seminary Rd., and during the overnight hours, stop all traffic for intermittent periods of up to 20 minutes. The closures will continue through 9 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 19. Local travel on Seminary Rd. and North Van Dorn St. will also be affected.
Work is weather dependent and will take place on Saturday night, Dec. 19, if inclement weather occurs.
Motorists are advised to expect delays or take alternate routes.
The closures are needed to allow safe placement of a steel beam for a pedestrian bridge under construction. The work includes laying down two 175-feet, 100-ton girders which are being erected for a new pedestrian bridge over I-395. Other elements of this project include an auxiliary lane on northbound I-395 between Duke Street and Seminary Road, and a new I-395 high occupancy vehicle (HOV) ramp to Seminary Road. The overall project is scheduled to open in mid- to late-January 2016.
Beginning at 9:30 Friday night, crews will close one lane on I-395 North, followed by a second lane at 10:30. One lane of traffic will remain open until after midnight, when all lanes will be closed intermittently on two separate occasions for periods of up to 20 minutes. For through traffic heading to Arlington and Washington, D.C., the northern section of the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes will open at 9 p.m. just north of Edsall Road.
Westbound Seminary Rd. traffic heading to I-395 North will:
- Continue Westbound on Seminary Rd. over I-395
- Follow detour to N .Beauregard St. to King St. to I-395 North
Eastbound Seminary Rd. Rotary Level traffic heading to I-395 North will:
- Proceed onto Seminary Rd. Eastbound,
- Turn left at Library Ln., follow signs to Kenmore Ave., take N. Van Dorn St. northbound to King St. West and follow signs to I-395 North
- Northbound lanes on N. Van Dorn St. will be closed at Seminary Rd. Traffic will be directed to:
- Turn right on Kenmore Ave.
- Right on Seminary Rd.
- Left on Library Ln.
- Follow signs to Kenmore Ave. to N. Van Dorn St.
- Southbound lanes on N. Van Dorn St. will be closed at Seminary Rd. Traffic will be directed to:
- Turn left at Kenmore Ave.
- Turn right on to Seminary Rd. West over I-395
- Turn left at N. Beauregard St.
- Turn left at Sanger Ave. back to N. Van Dorn St.