Metro plans restoration of limited underground Metrorail, “lifeline” Metrobus service for Monday, January 25
Metro today announced the restoration of limited service on Metrorail and Metrobus on Monday, January 25 as the region digs out from the historic Blizzard of 2016.
The Metrorail system will open at 7 a.m. with limited underground service on the Red, Orange and Green lines as follows:
- Orange Line: Ballston to Eastern Market only
- Red Line: Medical Center to Union Station only
- Green Line: Fort Totten to Anacostia only
At the start of service, trains will run every 20-25 minutes. Service levels may be upgraded as conditions allow. The system will remain open until midnight. Fares will not be charged on Metrorail on Monday, January 25.
- Metrobus service will operate Monday from 12 p.m. until 5 p.m. on “Lifeline Service,” meaning SERVICE WILL BE LIMITED TO 22 ROUTES ONLY. Additionally, many of these routes will operate on snow emergency routes only to keep vehicles off hilly terrain, narrow side streets and other problem areas. Details will be posted at wmata.com and sent via MetroAlerts.
- Buses will operate from origin points every 30 minutes on a “clockface” schedule with departures at :00 and :30 each hour. The last trips will depart at 5 p.m. and operate to the end of the route.
- Fares will not be charged on Metrobus on Monday, January 25.
The Lifeline Service bus routes are as follows. Note that these buses will operate on Snow Emergency Routes only:
- District of Columbia: 32, 33, 36, 53, 70, 90, A6, A8, S4, U8, V4, X2
- Maryland: C4, D12, K6, P12, Q2, Y2, Z8
- Virginia: 16A, 16E, 28A
IMPORTANT: Service changes are possible due to road conditions. Customers are encouraged to sign up for MetroAlerts to receive updates.
Due to expected road conditions, all MetroAccess service is SUSPENDED on Monday, January 25. Service will be restored when it is safe to do so; however, a time for service restoration is not yet known.
Metro Transit Police will not enforce overnight parking restrictions Sunday or Monday, and parking gates will remain in the open position through 9:30 a.m. Tuesday to allow vehicles to exit garages free of charge. Parking fees are expected to go back in effect Tuesday, January 26.
(Photo via Itiaz Rahim on Flickr)