Voting Now Open For “Heart of Del Ray” Award
Five Nominees “Represent the Heart and Soul of Del Ray”
Voting is now open for the 2017 “Heart of Del Ray” contest, sponsored by the Del Ray Business Association.
Every February, the Del Ray Business Association presents the Heart of Del Ray Award to the business that serves as the heart and soul of Del Ray, as determined by a public vote of neighbors and customers. Selection is based on which business best demonstrates their warm and welcoming attitude to the community/customers, their commitment and generosity to the community, and to their overall contribution to the Del Ray community.
The nominees for the 2017 Heart of Del Ray — plus comments from the customers who nominated them — are :
- Cheesetique: “Long time favorite for our family.” “You can always count on great food and great service as indicated by the many national awards they have won.” “Thankful to Jill [Erber] for supporting so many important causes in the community.”
- Del Ray Cafe: “Every time we go there, the waiters welcome us like we are old friends. Friends from D.C. joined us there for dinner and said that they have never received that warm a welcome anywhere!” “The Del Ray Cafe not only treats its customers like family, it also gives back to the community. They hosted a restaurant night for my daughter’s school, and they were generous with their time and donation.”
- Pork Barrel/Holy Cow/Sushi Bar: “Besides great food, they are one of the most community-minded businesses in the DC area.” “Holy Cow donates a quarter per burger to ACT, they supported Rose’s family, organized a fundraiser for Al’s, one of their competitors and they donate the Del Ray’s Christmas tree every year. They are what makes Del Ray so special.”
- Rock Of Ages Music (ROAM): “What John Patrick and his team of talented instructors have done for musicians and children in the neighborhood is astounding and I know they do it with all of their Heart! And they coordinate great community events like ROAMFEST and the Del Ray Music Festival.”
- Taqueria Poblano: “A neighborhood favorite — like Cheers, where you walk in and they know your name.” “We love the food and love to take friends from out of town because it always feels so welcoming.” “Appreciate Jeff [Wallingford] and Taqueria Poblano who are always willing to support community events.”
Online voting is now open online at this link; voting closes at 5:00 PM on Wed., Feb. 8. A large heart-shaped award will be displayed on the winning business on Fri., Feb 10 to greet them for the Valentine’s Day weekend.
Last year, over 1,600 neighbors, friends and customers participated in online voting. Past winners of the award include A Show of Hands, Jen Walker McEnearney Associates, Bobi Bomar Homes of Alexandria, The Neighborhood Pharmacy of Del Ray, Greener Cleaner of Del Ray, Del Ray Pizzeria, Mind the Mat Pilates & Yoga, and Caboose Cafe. A business cannot win the award multiple years.
The Del Ray Business Association represents the independently-owned restaurants, retailers, and businesses in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria; DRBA also hosts community events, including First Thursdays, Taste of Del Ray, The Del Ray Halloween Parade, The Alexandria Turkey Trot, and more.
For more information, visit this link.
Photo: Former Heart of Del Ray winners Pat Miller, Serdar Basegmez, Bobi Bomar, Eric Reid, and Megan Bellamy Brown present the 2016 Heart of Del Ray award to Caboose Cafe. Voting is now open for the 2017 contest. Photo by Gayle Reuter