FIRST THURSDAY, Del Ray’s monthly summer street festival, takes place August 3 from 6pm to dusk along Mount Vernon Avenue with the theme “Staycation!” The event is free and open to all.
Join the Del Ray Business Association on Mount Vernon Avenue for fun summer activities, including:
- Live music at the Pat Miller Neighborhood Square
- Beach Yoga with Mind the Mat Pilates and Yoga at 6:45pm at the Bean Creative field. Bring a beach towel! Families welcome.
- Skateboarding with The Board Bus
- Alexandria history with John Chapman’s Manumission Tours
- Upcycled cheese boards with Cheesetique
- 2nd Annual Watermelon Seed Spittin’ Contest at Pork Barrel BBQ
- Photo booth and snow cones at Bellies and Babies
- Where’s the Sheriff? (Kids: find the sheriff at a mystery location for a fun prize!)
- Stories around the world with Duncan Library on the breezeway between Neighborhood Pharmacy and Greener Cleaner
- At-Home Spa with Wise Light Wellness and Essentially Focused in front of Bon Vivant Cafe
- Greenstreet Gardens kicks off their weekend-long celebration of shop cat Della’s one-year anniversary
- and more!
The event is FREE and open to all.
Participants are encouraged to bring single serving-sized, non-perishable food for Blessings in a Backpack, which provides food for the weekends for elementary school children across America who might otherwise go hungry. Suggested donations include boxes of granola bars, fruit snacks, juice boxes, individual cups of nut butter, boxes of instant oatmeal in single-serving packets, individual-size boxes of cereal, breakfast-in-a-cup selections, noodle cups, packets of heat-and-eat rice, and shelf-stable entree options.
Held the first Thursday of the month from April to September along Mount Vernon Avenue in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, First Thursday is a series of free outdoor street festivals that bring the community together around a fun theme, benefiting a local nonprofit.