The City of Alexandria will be hosting First Night Alexandria, an Old Town New Year’s Eve Party on Sunday, December 31st. This celebration is family oriented and will organize various events/activities at approximately 22 venues throughout Old Town (and one in Del Ray).
The festivities begin at noon and end with a fireworks display near King Street Park after midnight. The fireworks will be discharged from a barge on the Potomac. Thousands of people attend this event. Expect heavy pedestrian and vehicle traffic all along the King Street corridor and east of Washington Street.
At approximately 10:00 p.m. (depending on crowd size), Alexandria Police will initiate the closing of the following streets/blocks:
- King Street from the river to Fairfax Street,
- Strand Street north of Prince Street,
- 200 South Union Street through the 100 block of North Union Street,
- 100 South Lee Street through 100 North Lee Street, and
- 100 block of Cameron Street.
These roadways will be incrementally re-opened after the fireworks and as the crowds dissipate. We expect to have all of the roads open by 1:30 a.m.
For more community events, visit our events calendar.