The City of Alexandria, Virginia invites the community to learn more about City government through the upcoming Alexandria City Academy, Alexandria Commonwealth’s Attorney Community Academy, Alexandria Community Fire Academy, Alexandria Community Police Academy, and Alexandria Senior Academy.
These programs are designed to inform, educate and engage the community on how local government works. The City, Fire and Police programs will begin their next sessions in March. The next Commonwealth’s Attorney and Senior program sessions will begin in April.
- The Alexandria City Academy teaches participants about general government operations and departments through a combination of classroom and hands-on experiences.
- The new Alexandria Commonwealth’s Attorney Community Academy will offer an in-depth look at how criminal offenses are prosecuted in the City of Alexandria by the Commonwealth Attorney’s office. Other programs within the office include a multijurisdictional drug prosecution program and the Victim-Witness Assistance Program.
- The Alexandria Community Fire Academy educates community members about fire safety and emergency medical response, as well as the history, administration, operations, and apparatus of an urban public safety agency.
- The Alexandria Community Police Academy provides an opportunity for residents to learn about various aspects of the Police Department, such as administrative philosophy, internal policies and the guiding principles of law and ethical conduct governing the delivery of police services.
- The Alexandria Senior Academy, a partnership between the City and Senior Services of Alexandria, gives seniors (ages 60 and up) exposure to the City’s government functions and provides education on local organizations that provide services and programs to the senior community.
These programs are open to residents, Alexandria business owners, and City employees. A graduation ceremony will be held at the end of each academy program session.
Class sizes are limited. For more information, including deadlines and application forms, visit alexandriava.gov/Academies.