Metro today announced that eight surplus properties are up for sale in Maryland, Virginia and the District with potential for commercial, residential and/or mixed-use development. The parcels include several sites near or adjacent to Metro stations, including Columbia Heights, College Park, and Glenmont.
The sale of surplus property is expected to save money by reducing maintenance expenses on property Metro no longer needs, while generating additional revenue for capital and operating expenses.
“Our riders want affordable, cost-effective public transit and to do that we need to find new sources of revenue and efficiencies,” said Metro General Manager and Chief Executive Officer Paul J. Wiedefeld. “We are turning over every stone, looking at all of our assets to get the most out of every dollar and ensure continued financial stability.”
All eight parcels are in areas surrounded by commercial or residential development and provide infill opportunities that will benefit the neighboring community. The offering includes more than 7,000 square feet of land in the heart of Columbia Heights on Park Road, close to popular restaurants and retailers that is prime for development.
An additional property adjacent to Glenmont Metro is also being offered for ground lease.
Metro is evaluating all of its surplus property holdings and expects to provide additional properties for sale over the next two years. The ground lease and eight properties currently available for purchase are:
Baltimore Avenue, College Park, Maryland
- Parcel is located at the intersection of Baltimore Avenue and Albion Road and adjoins the Riverdale Park Station residential and retail complex anchored by Whole Foods
Southern Avenue Metro Station Parcels, Temple Hills, Maryland
- Two parcels adjoining the Southern Avenue Metro Station on the Green Line
Glenmont Metro Station Parcel, Silver Spring, Maryland
- Parcel adjoins the Glenmont Metro Station west entrance on the Red Line
9400 Lottsford Road, Largo, Maryland
- Parcel is ¼ mile from the University of Maryland Capital Region Medical Center, in construction, and the Largo Town Center Metro Station on the Blue and Silver Lines
Branch Avenue Metro Station, Suitland, Maryland
- Parcel is across the street from the Branch Avenue Metro Station on the Yellow Line
5708 Vine Street, Alexandria, Virginia
- Pad site just off the intersection of Eisenhower Avenue and South Van Dorn Street (see featured photo above)
7100 Chestnut Street, Washington, DC
- Single family lot
1100 Park Road NW, Washington, DC
- Corner lot at the intersection of Park Road, NW and 11th Street, NW
12415 Georgia Avenue, Silver Spring, Maryland
- Pad available for ground lease only next to the Glenmont Metro Station east entrance
Additional details on each property are available on the WMATA real estate page.
The property sale is being handled through, NAI Michael, a commercial real estate company serving the DC Metro area. For more information, interested buyers should contact Lance Schwartz or Peter Burleigh at (301) 459-4400. Metro staff will not accept calls or offers directly.