The City of Alexandria invites the community to learn more about City government through the upcoming City Academy, Senior Academy, Community Commonwealth’s Attorney Academy, Community Fire Academy, Community Police Academy, and Community Sheriff’s Academy.
These programs are designed to inform, educate and engage the community on how local government operates. The City, Fire, Police, and Sheriff’s programs will begin in March. The Senior program will begin in April. The Commonwealth’s Attorney program is a one-day program held in May. Applications for all academies will be accepted beginning on January 16; closing dates will vary.
- The Alexandria City Academy teaches participants about general government operations and departments through a combination of classroom and hands-on experiences.
- The Alexandria Senior Academy, a partnership between the City and Senior Services of Alexandria, gives seniors (age 60 and up) exposure to the City’s government functions and provides education on local organizations that provide services and programs to seniors.
- The Alexandria Community Commonwealth’s Attorney Academy offers an in-depth look at how criminal offenses are prosecuted in the City by the Commonwealth Attorney’s office.
- The Alexandria Community Fire Academy educates community members about fire safety and emergency medical response, as well as the history, administration, operations, and apparatus of an urban public safety agency.
- The Alexandria Community Police Academy provides an opportunity for residents to learn about various aspects of the Police Department, such as administrative philosophy, internal policies and the guiding principles of law and ethical conduct governing the delivery of police services.
- The Alexandria Community Sheriff’s Academy explores the role of the Sheriff’s Office in Alexandria’s criminal justice system, provide information about local corrections and help attendees learn how the Sheriff’s Office enhances public safety through specialized services and outreach programs.
These programs are open to those who live or work in Alexandria. A graduation ceremony will be held at the end of each academy program session.
Class sizes are limited.
For more information, including deadlines and application forms, visit this link.