Lane Closures needed for bridge work along I-395 that will continue for four weeks
Travelers should expect lane closures on the I-395 general purpose lanes beginning the weekend of April 26-28, and continuing for at least four consecutive weekends, depending on the weather. The weekend closures, which will occur from Friday nights until Monday mornings, are needed for crews to safely rehabilitate five bridges along I-395 between the Springfield interchange and Washington, D.C. line. Motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes. If travel in this area is unavoidable, drivers should use caution and plan extra travel time.
What Drivers Should Expect:
- Two general purpose lanes on I-395 will close for entire weekend periods starting on Friday nights through Monday mornings (alternating between south- and northbound directions, depending on the location of bridge work); additional lane closures will occur in the opposite direction of I-395 as needed to allow crews to access work areas.
- At least two general purpose lanes will remain open on I-395 (in both directions) during peak-travel daytime hours.
- To help ease traffic impacts, the HOV lanes from just north of Edsall Road to the D.C. line will be open in the same direction as the bridge work, whether northbound or southbound.
- Thru-traffic (northbound to DC and southbound to Springfield) will be encouraged to use the HOV lanes, while local traffic will need to use the two open general purpose lanes.
- Weekly updates with specific closure information will be available at: 395ExpressLanes.com and VDOT’s 395 Express Lanes Web Page.
- Current plans call for the reversible I-95 Express Lanes, from near Edsall Road to past Garrisonville Road in Stafford, to operate according to their normal schedule.
Details for First Weekend, April 26-28:
- Work and double lane closures will take place in the northbound direction on I-395 from Duke Street (Exit 3) to past Pentagon City/Crystal City (Exit 8C).
- HOV lanes will remain open in the northbound direction.
- Ramps from Duke Street to I-395 North will be closed. Drivers should follow detour signs.
The 395 Express Lanes eight-mile northern extension is scheduled to open this fall. Learn how Express Lanes work and how to get an E-ZPass at this link.
(Photo: Tomas Lacika, on Flickr)