If you’re heading around town this Sunday and especially south of Old Town Alexandria, Virginia toward Mount Vernon, you may want to wait a while. The 35th annual GW Parkway Classic runs from Alexandria to Mount Vernon on Sunday morning April 28, 2019.
In the Carlyle and Eisenhower East neighborhoods, you will see some activity as well along eastbound Eisenhower Avenue as parking is provided at the USPTO East Parking garage. Shuttle buses are running from Eisenhower Avenue down to the starting line of the race.
Expect delays due to the road closures and plan extra time for travel.
Here are the road closures for the race from Alexandria Police Department (APD):
Closed from 6-10:30 AM:
- GW Parkway, between Mount Vernon Estate and the Alexandria City line
- The Church Street ramp from the inner loop
- Only local traffic will be allowed on South Washington Street between Gibbon and South Alfred Streets. Both southbound and northbound traffic will be reduced to one lane each direction and diverted to the normal southbound lanes.
Closed from 7-10:30AM:
- Franklin Street from Washington Street to Union Street
- Union Street
Other traffic issues:
- Residents of Porto Vecchio and Hunting Point on the Potomac will only be allowed to enter Washington Street during breaks in the race.
- Pendleton Street between Fairfax and Union will be closed from noon Saturday until noon on Sunday.
- North Fairfax Street will be restricted to buses only from 4:30 -7:30 AM on Sunday.
- Additionally, shuttle buses for runners will be loading on Eisenhower Avenue near the metro station; there should be little traffic impact on Eisenhower Avenue.
(Photo: Jim Walker Photo, Flickr Pool)