Looking for events in the Alexandria, Virginia area? Alexandria, Virginia offers a wide range of events, from music concerts to food festivals to museum displays, exhibits and family fun. Use our listings of Alexandria featured and ongoing events to find the perfect activity for you and/or your family.
- This event has passed.
Absentee Voting in Alexandria for June Primary
An event every week that begins at 12:00 am on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, repeating until June 10, 2019
Absentee voting will begin on April 26 for the June 11 Democratic primary election. All voters in Alexandria may cast ballots for a nominee for Clerk of Circuit Court, and voters in the Hermitage, John Adams, William Ramsay and Southport precincts may cast ballots for a nominee for the Senate of Virginia from the 35th District. Voters in Virginia do not register by party, so any person registered to vote in Alexandria may vote in the June 11 Democratic primary election.
There is no Republican primary election this June. Instead, the Republican Party will hold a party canvass (meeting) to nominate its candidates for the November election.
Many Alexandria voters are eligible to vote absentee if they are, for example:
- Away for personal business, work, vacation, active military service or at school.
- Working and commuting for 11 or more hours, between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m., on Election Day. Account for those days when traffic is heavy, or the weather is bad and it takes longer than usual to get to and from work.
- Physically unable to go to the polls because of an illness or disability.
- A caregiver for a confined family member.
- A “first responder” (firefighter, law enforcement, emergency medical technician, search and rescue).
To learn more about these, and other circumstances in which absentee voting is available, visit the City’s Elections page, or call 703.746.4050.
APPLY FOR ABSENTEE VOTING BALLOT ONLINE
Voters may submit absentee ballot applications online at vote.elections.virginia.gov.
ABSENTEE VOTING IN PERSON
Voters who wish to cast their absentee ballot in person will complete their absentee ballot application when they come to vote.
The deadline for casting an absentee ballot in person is Saturday, June 8, at 5 p.m. In-person absentee voting takes place at the Office of Voter Registration and Elections (132 N. Royal St., Suite 100) during the following hours:
- Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (closed Monday, May 27)
- Saturdays, June 1 and June 8, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 29, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Monday, June 3, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
ABSENTEE VOTING BY MAIL
Voters who wish to receive their ballot by mail may submit an absentee ballot application online, or via mail, fax or email.
- Apply online at vote.elections.virginia.gov.
- Apply by mail, fax or email using the application (and instructions) on the City’s Elections page, or by requesting an application from the Alexandria Voter Registration Office at 703.746.4050.
The deadline to apply for an absentee ballot by mail is Tuesday, June 4. Applications must be received in the Voter Registration Office by 5 p.m. on that day.
Ballot applications are available to download, print, and complete on the City’s Elections page, or by calling the Alexandria Voter Registration Office at 703.746.4050.
Absentee ballots must be received by the Voter Registration Office no later than 7 p.m. on Election Day, Tuesday, June 11. Ballots may be returned by mail or delivered personally by the voter to the Voter Registration Office, located at 132 N. Royal St., Suite 100.
VOTER REGISTRATION DEADLINE
The voter registration deadline for this election, for those not already registered to vote at their current address, is May 20. Registration information may be submitted or updated online at vote.elections.virginia.gov. Any eligible U.S. citizen who will be 18 years old by November 5, 2019, is eligible to register and vote in these primaries.
For complete information on this election, including voter registration requirements, sample ballots, precinct maps and photo ID requirements, visit alexandriava.gov/Elections.
For more information, contact Anna Leider, General Registrar, Office of Voter Registration, at email@example.com or 703.746.4050.