Looking for events in the Alexandria, Virginia area? Alexandria, Virginia offers a wide range of events, from music concerts to food festivals to museum displays, exhibits and family fun. Use our listings of Alexandria featured and ongoing events to find the perfect activity for you and/or your family.
- This event has passed.
Public Hearing for Metro Budget in Alexandria
January 30, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pmFree
Metro is inviting the public to comment on its proposed Fiscal Year 2020 budget, which is committed to delivering better service and value to riders while controlling costs and identifying efficiencies.
Alexandria, Virginia residents can attend a public hearing in Alexandria on the Metro FY2020 budget.
Wednesday, January 30, 2019
The Durant Arts Center
1605 Cameron Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
Open House at 6:00 p.m., Public Hearing at 6:30 p.m.
The $3.4 billion capital and operating budget proposal is committed to moving Metro beyond “Back2Good” to make the system “better than good” by expanding rush hours, extending service on the Yellow and Red lines and enhancing the value of Metro’s unlimited rail and bus passes.
Metro’s proposed budget prioritizes safety and compliance, investing $1.4 billion through Metro’s Capital Improvement Program for safety and reliability improvements, rebuilding the Metro system and improving the effectiveness of the current rail and bus network.
Metro encourages customers to comment and values their input. All comments will be provided to Metro’s Board of Directors for consideration prior to adopting the budget.
Several key initiatives are being considered including:
- Expand weekday rush hours to provide more frequent service later in the morning and evening from 5:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Extend service on the Yellow Line to Greenbelt instead of Fort Totten or Mt Vernon Sq.
- Extend all Red Line trains to Glenmont during weekday rush hours and weekends instead of ending some trains at Silver Spring.
- Run all eight-car trains.
- Implement a $2 weekend flat fare on Metrorail, excluding special events.
- Reduce the cost of the 7-day bus pass from $17.50 to $15.
- Add unlimited local Metrobus trips to Metro’s unlimited monthly rail pass, SelectPass, at no additional cost.
If you can’t attend in person, more information on how to send your comments in online or by mail is available at this link.
Note that dates may change due to weather. Check wmata.com/budget for any schedule changes.
- Oswald Durant Arts Center
1605 Cameron Street
Alexandria, VA 22314 United States